Business Façade Improvement Program
The 2019 Intake period for the Business Facade Improvement Program is now open! Applications will be accepted until the end of business June 14, 2019.
Program Purpose and Goals
The Business Façade Improvement Program provides grants to property and business owners to assist with the costs to renovate, restore or redesign their façade.
About the Program
The Village of Keremeos will provide a 50% reimbursement grant up to a maximum of $2,000 per building/project to improve façades of commercial/retail buildings. Projects must have a minimum total cost of $500 in order to quality for this program.
Eligible properties are all existing commercial buildings zoned as C1 (General Commercial) and C2 (Highway Commercial) located within the Village of Keremeos. Some businesses on property zoned as M1 (Light Industrial) may also be considered as eligible. Please contact the Village Office for details.
- You must be either the property owner or business owner (if the applicant is the business owner, the property owner must approve the application in writing and confirm that all improvements are to be paid by the applicant)
- All property taxes pertaining to the property are fully paid and current
- There must be a current, valid Business Licence for the business located on the property (unless otherwise exempt)
- There must be no outstanding building permits, stop work orders or development permit condition requirements outstanding on the property
- You have not received a previous grant under this program for the subject property
- Residential homes located in the designated commercial area are not eligible; exception if the home is commercially zoned and has a storefront
- Municipally owned buildings (even if they have business tenants)
- Properties outside the specified area (as defined above)
- Non-operating business (the business must be in operation)
- Non-profit organizations (tenants)
Eligible Façade Improvements
Eligible Improvements may consist of but are not limited to:
- Exterior lighting (new but not replacement)
- Exterior architectural features
- Exterior surfaces and details (decorative details, moldings, trim, etc.)
- Windows (only if part of larger enhancements, no stand-alone window replacement)
- New Siding
- Façade Painting
- Entrances and doorways (if part of larger enhancements)
- Signage (affixed to the building)
Ineligible Façade Improvements
- Routine maintenance
- Structural repairs
- Non-permanent fixtures (benches, planters, patio heaters, etc.)
- Wheelchair ramps
- Interior Improvements
- Any improvements not visible from the public right of way
- Construction of additions, accessory buildings or new buildings
- Any improvements that have been started prior to application approval
- Direct project labour costs
- Design, architectural or engineering fees (related to façade only)
- Contractor Fees
- Rental of tools and equipment
- Project related materials and supplies
- Staff wages and/or benefits
- Equipment purchased
- Expenses related to improvements to the building façade not visible from the public right of way
- Utilities (hydro, gas, etc.)
- Shipping Cost
- Permit fees
- Façade Improvement expenses started prior to application approval
In order to be eligible for this grant, the applicant must submit designs and costs for the project between March 1st and June 14th. Grants will be awarded based on merit, as determined by the Design Review Committee.
Designs need to clearly outline the proposed improvements to allow the review committee to accurately evaluate the project, and clearly see that the finished product looks like what was intended during the application process.
As far as possible, projects must be consistent with the general form of the Village of Keremeos Building Design Guidelines and Colour Design Guidelines.
Building Permits, Sign and Canopy Permits and/or other permits may be required based on the extent of the improvements to be completed. These requirements are not waived by approval of the Façade Improvement Program, and should be applied for prior to or concurrently with application for this program.
All eligible projects will be evaluated using the following ranked criteria:
- Has the owner/tenant demonstrated how the modifications will benefit the business?
- Does the project for which the funds are being sought meet the applicable Design Guidelines (as specified below)?
- Will the project provide a noticeable improvement on the streetscape?
Please Note: Approved projects must be completed by November 30th and funding cannot carry over from one calendar year to the next.
Applying to the Business Façade Improvement Program
You can begin the application process by either visiting the Village Office to obtain an application form or by downloading the form below. You will need to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (available free) to use this file.
Business Façade Improvement Program Application Form
This form is fillable .pdf and can be saved once completed. You can submit your completed form by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, by faxing a copy to (250) 499-5477 or by mailing or dropping a copy off at the Village Office. Please ensure you provide your current contact information so you can be notified about any issues with your application and contacted once your application has been processed.
For general inquiries about the Business Façade Improvement Program, please contact the Village Office at (250) 499-2711.
Village of Keremeos – Building Design Guidelines
Village of Keremeos – Colour Design Guidelines