Business Façade Improvement Program
The intake period for the Business Facade Improvement Program is now open until June 12, 2020.
Program Purpose and Goals
The Business Façade Improvement Program provides grants to property and business owners to assist with the costs to renovate, restore or redesign their façade.
About the Program
The Village of Keremeos will provide a 50% reimbursement grant up to a maximum of $2,000 per building/project to improve façades or undertake accessibility improvements to commercial/retail buildings. Projects must have a minimum total cost of $500 in order to quality for this program.
Eligible properties are all existing commercial buildings zoned as C1 (General Commercial) and C2 (Highway Commercial) located within the Village of Keremeos. Some businesses on property zoned as M1 (Light Industrial) may also be considered as eligible. Please contact the Village Office to discuss.
- Must be either the property owner or business owner (if the applicant is not the property owner, the property owner must approve the application in writing)
- All property taxes pertaining to the property are fully paid and current
- There must be a current, valid Business Licence for the business located on the property (unless otherwise exempt)
- There must be no outstanding municipal violations on the property
- The applicant must not have received a previous facade grant under this program for the subject property (NEW! Starting in 2020, previous facade improvement grantees may apply for an accessibility improvement facade grant)
- Residential homes located in the designated commercial area are not eligible
- Municipally owned buildings (even if they have business tenants)
- Properties outside the specified area (as defined above)
- Non-operating business (the business must be in operation)
- Non-profit organizations (tenants)
Eligible Façade Improvements
Eligible Improvements may consist of but are not limited to:
- Exterior lighting (new but not replacement)
- Exterior architectural features
- Exterior surfaces and details (decorative details, moldings, trim, etc.)
- Windows (only if part of larger enhancements, no stand-alone window replacement)
- New Siding
- Façade Painting
- Entrances and doorways (if part of larger enhancements)
- Signage (affixed to the building)
- NEW! Accessibility improvements such as doorway transition ramps, automatic door openers and lever door handles
Ineligible Façade Improvements
- Structural repairs
- Non-permanent fixtures (benches, planters, patio heaters, etc.)
- Interior Improvements and other improvements not visible from the public right of way
- Construction of additions, accessory buildings or new buildings
- Any improvements started prior to application approval
- Direct project labour costs
- Design, architectural or engineering fees (related to façade only)
- Contractor Fees
- Rental of tools and equipment
- Project related materials and supplies
- Staff wages and/or benefits
- Equipment purchased
- Expenses related to improvements to the building façade not visible from the public right of way
- Utilities (hydro, gas, etc.)
- Shipping Cost
- Permit fees
Designs need to clearly outline the proposed improvements to allow the review committee to accurately evaluate the project, and clearly see that the finished product looks like what was intended during the application process.
In order to be eligible for this grant, the applicant must submit designs and costs for the project between March 15th and June 12th 2020. Grants will be awarded based on merit, as determined by the Design Review Committee.
Approved projects must be completed by November 27th 2020, and invoices submitted for reimbursement by December 18th, 2020. Funding cannot carry over from one calendar year to the next.
Applying to the Business Façade Improvement Program
You can begin the application process by either visiting the Village Office to obtain an application form or by downloading the form below. You will need to have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (available free) to use this file.
Business Façade Improvement Program Application Form
You can submit your completed form by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, by faxing a copy to (250) 499-5477 or by mailing or dropping a copy off at the Village Office.
For general inquiries about the Business Façade Improvement Program, please contact the Village Office at (250) 499-2711.