Garbage & Recycling
To view the 2020-2021 Curbside Garbage and Recycling Calendar click here.
The Village participates in the RDOS Residential Garbage and recycling service. The cost of the service is included each year on the tax notice. Current fee is $115.00 annually.
- Weekly curbside garbage collection (Fridays)
- Recycling collective every other week
- Seasonal yard waste pick up
- Annual collection of two large items
For In-Depth Information on garbage and recycling, click here.
Place your garbage out by 7:00 am on your collection day.
- Each week each household is allowed 2 standard sized bags or cans of garbage
- Please use non "see through" black or green garbage bags
- Maximum weight of each can or bag is 25 kg (55 lb) and maximum volume is 95 litres (20 imperial gallons)
- Tag a Bag stickers may be purchased at the Village Office for extra garbage. Stickers are $1.50 each
Recycling occurs every two weeks on your regular garbage day.
Place out your recycling by 7:00 am on your collection day with your garbage bags.
- Free "Recycle Only" stickers are available at the Village Office.
- Place all your clean recyclables mixed together in clearly marked re-usable containers (ie. blue box, cans or rolling carts) for recycling.
- Cardboard can be added to the clearly marked recyle bin or tied and placed beside your bin in dry weather. Bundles should be no larger than 65cm (2') by 1m (3') by 15cm (6") to fit into collection trucks.
- Flatten boxes and containers to save space. You don't need to peel off labels.
- There's no limit on the number containers you can place out at the curb
- Blue bins, rolling carts, and garbage cans (remember to use the Recycle Only stickers) should be available at all major grocery and hardware stores
- Maximum weight per can 25 kg or 55 pounds
- NO GLASS IN RECYCLE BINS
For a list of where you can take household items for reuse, recycle or safe disposal, please review the 2018 Reuse, Recycle & Safe Disposal Guide.
Yard and Garden Waste Collection
Food waste is not collected.
Place yard waste in clearly marked reusable containers or in compostable paper bags (no plastic bags). Bundle prunings with string ( not wire, nylon cord or plastic banding). Unlimited amounts of properly packaged yard waste will be accepted.
Free "YARD WASTE ONLY" stickers are available to place on reusable containers (like a garbage can you want to use only for yard waste). Contact the Village office to get a free sticker.
Materials accepted include:
- grass clippings
- pine needles and cones
- garden plants
- non-invasive weeds
- bundled prunings up to 3 feet / 1 meter in length
- Maximum weight of individual bags or bundles is 25 kg (55 lb)
Bulky/Large item yearly collection
The Large or Bulky item pickup allows each home to place out two items per year for residential pickup. The items such as furniture and appliances are listed below. For the annual pickup date please consult your curbside calendar
- Maximum of 2 items of furniture or appliances will be accepted
- One scheduled curbside collection per year
- Mattress and boxspring count as two separate items
- NO Toilets and Hot Water Tanks. See note below.
- Some examples of large or bulky items:
- dish washers, microwaves, stoves, washing machines, and dryers (please remove door and shelves and place them beside the unit for safer pickup)
- couches, desks, and chairs
- mattresses and boxsprings (remember placing out a mattress and a box spring would count as 2 items!)
- refridgerators, freezers and air conditioners
- Please take computers, monitors and TVs directly to the Keremeos Landfill free of charge. Although TVs and Computers will be picked up during Bulky Item collection they break making them dangerous to recycle.
The Regional District will NOT pick up any home renovation/demolition waste or automotive parts including toilets, hot water tanks and other bathroom fixtures.
Results of the 2019 Recycling Survey are now available, click here for information.
Keremeos Transfer Station Landfill
The Keremeos Transfer Station Landfill is located at the end of El Rancho Road just off of Keremeos Bypass Road and is operated by the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Hours of Operation
Wednesdays: 12 PM - 4 PM (From March until end of November only)
Sunday: 10 AM - 4 PM